Can't get customers to engage with your social media posts? Here's why you aren't connecting - and what to do about it.
If you're dutifully posting content on social media sites but you still aren't making much headway, you might be accidentally hamstringing all your hard work. Your isn't to post lots of content or even get lots of likesâ€”your goal is to build engagement and turn followers into paying customers.
Are you making one or more of these common social media marketing mistakes?
1. Wandering Without a Map
You can post funny cat memes all day long, but if your tactics aren't based on a larger social media strategyâ€”complete with specific, measurable goalsâ€”all those likes aren't likely to convert into customers.
2. Making It All About You
Marketers talk a lot about the 80/20 rule of social media: Talk about yourself no more than 20% of the time, and spend the remaining 80% of your posts sharing value-added content like industry news and helpful resources, joining conversations, and celebrating the interests and accomplishments of others in your network.
3. Selling, Not Connecting
Always be closing? More like always be connecting. It's possible for some businesses to effectively use social media as a sales tool, but it's primarily a relationship-building tool. Customers on social media generally steer clear of the hard sell in favor of conversation, entertainment and information.
4. Wrong Place (or Wrong Time)
If your Facebook Ads or posts are underperforming, do a little research to see if you are posting on the social platforms your customers use and at the times of day when they are online. Young adults, for instance, may respond better to an Instagram story or a Snapchat campaign.
5. Nothing to See
If your audience size is decent but engagement is low, your posts might be a long on text and short on multimedia. Spice up your content with brand-appropriate images, videos and GIFs to help catch the eye and entertain your audience.
Brooke Preston, Manta Contributor
We can help!
If you would like some help boosting your social media presence, drop us a line using the form below and we can map out an easy to manage social media marketing campaign to boost traffic and engagement!